Atopic eczema – also called atopic dermatitis – usually starts in childhood. Genetic factors play a strong role in causing this condition, as 60% of children who have a parent with eczema will develop it themselves.
Flare-ups can be triggered in three ways:
- psychological factors like stress
- environmental factors like extreme temperatures
- allergens like certain animals or food ingredients
Although it’s more common in children, adults can have regular flare-ups, with symptoms such as inflammation, redness, itching and cracking of the skin.
If you have atopic eczema, the protective barrier of the skin is weak. It cannot produce enough fats and oils (called lipids) that are needed to retain water and keep the skin moist and flexible. A dry and cracked skin makes access for irritants and bacteria easier.
Dermalex Atopic Eczema cream is specially formulated to treat atopic eczema. Uniquely, it works in four ways:
- Moisturizes the affected skin.
- Replenishes the missing lipids to restore the skin’s protective barrier.
- Prevents irritants and allergens from entering the skin and triggering new flare-ups.
- MagneoLiteTM complex improves the skin’s own repair mechanism, reducing redness and irritation
Eczema is also called dermatitis. It’s a chronic skin condition that makes the skin red, itchy, dry and cracked. Flare-ups can occur on every part of the body. There are different kinds of eczema and the affliction varies from person to person. It is considered a challenging and distressing skin condition to manage.
The two most common types:
- atopic eczema (which occurs in areas where the skin folds)
- contact eczema (usually found on hands and feet)
Our pharmacists and our teams are on hand to help you look after your skin from prevention to treatment and always with no appointment necessary. Pop in to your local Dears Pharmacy to learn more about the Dermalex Range in store.